Thursday, June 12, 2008

This life is about people

I was thinking today about the final judgment, and what it would be like. I have heard people say that you will watch a movie of your life. I personally doubt that. I imagine a gathering, where you stand before Heavenly Father, and people come and talk about you. They say what good or ill things that you did to them.

I think that the whole purpose in this life is about how we interact and treat others. I personally think that is why life is unfair, and why bad things happen to good people. Life is tough. I think that is the test, what are we doing to help alleviate the pains of others. Do we truly love others? Do we care more about their well-being than our own?

I was thinking how difficult it would be to be Heavenly Father. He is perfect. He loves every one of his children. That baffles me as I walk the streets of New York. How do you keep that kind of perspective? This life is about people ... that is the test.

2 comments:

Bob and Carol said...

Interesting I should find this blog on the day I am asking myself why Tim Russert had to die so suddenly. It's sad. He was such a good guy, excellent journalist, devoted son, and inspirational father. We just don't have all the answers.

Brian said...

Yes, I too think our political landscape will be worse off for losing Russert.

I've believed for 32 years it will be the "watch-a-movie", which makes me cringe because I'm a chronic nose-picker. (I am doing better tho)
The Ricker (who has wisely been banned from this blog I see!) told me a couple years back something akin to: there is no movie. But our bodies and souls will be a living document/garment to testify of our lives and what we've done. It is the quintessential manifestation of the "To Become" doctrine. What/who have we become?

There is a funny movie called "Defending your Life" with Al Brooks and Meryl Streep, where people have to defend their earth-life, like lawyers. It's funny watching Al because he can't find any example of his life where he was selfless, but trying to warp selfish acts into how it was selfless.

So, no go on the movie. But after perusing 2 Ne 9, Alma 11 and Alma 39-42, there is definitely some kind of "judgment". Perhaps they were just using the judgement bar imagery to emphasis that we are responsible for our acts/thoughts/words/etc. but no formal arraigning.

I would agree about more weight/emphasis on how we treat people. As I get older, it seems to me that this is a much more important concept and I think people (including me) are just not getting it. D&C 18:10,15-16 is pretty explicit. Do we truly believe it or not?